[Q] How can the directory location to dd output affect performance?

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Sun Jan 14 03:12:43 UTC 2007

------------------^

> My root is organized has a /maurice directory and a /maurice/drbd directory
> and initially I had changed to that directory to run the benchmark. In here,
> the speeds were slow, averaging about 40 MB/second.
> When I happened to run it from /, I suddenly began getting about 70
> MB/second. So in some bizarre fashion, the location to where the output of dd
> is directed to dramatically impacts the performance. I have run from other
> directories and the performance varies depending on which directory I'm in.

Strange indeed. Only thing that comes to mind is: you're specifying the
output file not as an absolute path, but relative: the directories (and
its contents) are distributed all over the disk: some may "live" in the
inner part of the plattern, some in the outer part - and different areas
have different speeds. I've never encountered this and I could be dead
wrong, but I'd suggest to specify the same 'of=/path/to/output' - I
could imagine that it's more likely that for the next benchmark the
filesystem uses the same on-disk location...no?

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #12:

dry joints on cable plug