poor read performance

Glen Dosey doseyg at r-networks.net
Sun Jul 1 00:59:21 UTC 2007

ling,

Wow, Thanks !

That made an enormous difference. Now I'd like to try and understand
why. I had initially tried 256, 512 and 1024 block read ahead settings
in the OS with no difference in performance and went no further. 8192
made a huge difference, but 16384 brings the performance back to the
same at 256. Why is 8192 such a magic number ? The RAID enclosure itself
also has a read ahead setting , which I've tried at 512K , 1M and 2M,
also with no difference.

I also want to make sure I understand how read-ahead is working in my
setup. If I request some data A, the OS will request 8192 blocks (4MB)
past the end of data A. Now the controller will see the OS request for A
+ 4M and read an additional 2MB past that, such that the disks have read
6MB beyond the end of what was initially requested, with 2MB being in
the controller cache, 4MB in the OS cache, and data A passed to the
application. Is this correct ?

Thanks,
Glen