Please How do I calculate the offset of a file within a ext3 partition

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Mon Jul 23 00:16:03 UTC 2007

On 22/07/07, William Tambe <tambewilliam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to understand and to calculate the offset of the beginning of a
> file within my partition which uses an ext3 filesystem.
>
> Can I use dumpe2fs to figure that out, if yes how?

(Sorry for the duplicate William, forgot to reply to the list)

Not sure about dumpe2fs but you can use debugfs to do so. For example:

/sbin/debugfs <fs> -R "bmap /path/to/file 0"

Will give you the first physical block corresponding to logical block
0 of the file.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan