Calculating stride values?

Tod Hagan tod at gust.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jun 6 15:23:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 17:23 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Not really.  We submitted a patch to clarify this, so the "stride=" value
> is the number of blocks on a SINGLE disk.  This ensures that the bitmaps
> are round-robined across all disks.
>
> > For example, take the example of six drives configured for RAID 5 with a
> > chunk size of 64 and a 4K blocksize:
>
> -E stride=16, based on 64k / 4k

Thanks for clearing this up. The number of blocks for a single disk
means you don't have to worry about parity drives, so it's much easier
to deal with.

And good to hear about the clarifying patch, as I'm not the only person
confused by this -- currently, the information on the link below is
wrong:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Disk_Optimization

Tod

--