4 GB USB flash disk with FAT ok, with ext3 corrupted files

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon Jun 18 09:33:26 UTC 2007

--On 18 June 2007 10:59 +0200 Miernik <public at miernik.name> wrote:

> These USB sticks are fake, and have a 1 GB flash chip, and a fake
> controller which makes the computer think it is a 4 GB stick.
>
> Any data written past the first 1066401792 bytes is lost, and reading
> any data over that boundary gives a copy of the last 2048 bytes of the
> real flash chip, repeated as many times to fill the whole stick.

Hmmmm.... I wonder whether it would be useful for mke2fs etc. to write
to sector n-1 and n-2 (where there are n sectors on the disk) and read
the sectors back to check the last sectors on the disk actually work.
This would detect bad extents very easily and quickly. I am sure there
are innocent causes of this problem on other media (i.e. it would
be useful beyond fake USB drives)

Alex