Ext3 behavior on power failure

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Wed Mar 28 13:29:04 UTC 2007

> > If you fsync() your data, you are guaranteed that also your data are
> >safely on disk when fsync returns. So what is the question here?
> Pardon a newbie's intrusion, but I do know this isn't true. There is a
> window of possible loss because of the multitude of layers of caching,
> especially within the drive itself. Unless there is a super_duper_fsync()
> that is able to actually poll the hardware and get a confirmation that the
> internal buffers are purged?
  OK :), to correct myself: After fsync() returns, all the data is acked from
the disk (or at least it should be like that unless there's a bug
somewhere). So if there are some caches in the hardware which the hardware
is not able to flush on power failure, that's a bad luck... That's why
you should turn off write caching on cheaper disks if you really care
about data integrity.

									Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz>