Second Block on Partition overwritten with 0xFF

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Wed Sep 5 11:12:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, September 5, 2007 10:58, Tomas Pospisek ML wrote:
>> My question is: does the ext3 driver _ever_ write outside of its own
>> space on disk - i.e into 0x000-0x400? That is can we exclude with
>> certainity that it's _not_ the ext3 driver causing the problem?

Not being an expert I'd say it should not write outside its assigned
space. When I format sda1 with *fs, I expect that only sda1 will be
touched by the fs, nothing else. I cannot think of a corner case where the
fs has to touch something else. So, assuming that's correct and assuming
ext3 is not buggy, I'd exclude ext3 from being the one writing to this
particular space on disk.

C.
--
BOFH excuse #442: