ext3 file system becoming read only

Stephen Samuel darkonc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 07:27:17 UTC 2007

It looks to me like your system is setup sot that filesystems revert
to read-only on errors.  The system has detected an error (possibly a
read error), and has now reverted the system to read-only.

Check your system logs for errors related to the partition that
you're having problems with (this includes the devices underlying the
LVM).

Then, (presuming that it's not a hardware problem) I'd suggest:
1) a backup of whatever data you can currently retreive from the syatem, the,
2) go to single-user and manually run fsck on the suspect filesystem.

Check another relatively recent thread about problems with RAID cards on risers
(1U and 2U systems).

On 9/22/07, Swapana Ghosh <swapana_ghosh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> In our office environment few servers mostly  database servers and yesterday it
> happened
> for one application server(first time) the partion is getting "read only".
>
> I was checking the archives, found may be similar kind of issues in the
> 2007-July archives.
> But how it has been solved if someone describes me that will be really helpful.
>
> In our case, just at the problem started found the line in log file as follows:
>
>      EXT3-fs error (device dm-12): edxt3_find_entry: reading directory #2015496
> offset 2

Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641