ext3 file system becoming read only

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:37:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:28:42AM +0200, Jordi Prats wrote:
> It seems like what it happened to me. I did this to solve this issue:
>
> Mark the filesystem as it does not have a journal (take it to ext2)
>
> tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
>
> fsck it to delete the journal:
>
> e2fsck /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
>
> Create the journal (take it back to ext3)
>
> tune2fs -j /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
>
> and finaly, remount it.
>
> In my case it was with a local disk, but with your SAN disk should be
> the same.

If this helped for you, and e2fsck was formerly not complaining about
any problems with the filesystem, it is very likely that you have a
bad block on your disk that happened to overlap with the journal.

You may want to use smartctl to see how the disk is doing, and replace
it if necessary, and use "e2fsck -c" to test for bad blocks and lock
them out from being used in the future.  (Note that if smartctl
indicates the disk is about to fail, you'll want to omit the e2fsck
-c, and instead backup the hard drive and replace it ASAP!)

    		       	   	      	  - Ted