Spontaneous development of supremely large files on different ext3 filesystems

Stephen Samuel darkonc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:30:59 UTC 2007

It's not clear where the error occured. It may actually be that there
was a multi-bit error, and that it was incorrectly  'fixed'. It's also
still possible that The  spurious bit was flipped somewhere in
software -- which wouldn'b be picked up by the RAID parity, because
the RAID parity took that flipped bit into account.

If you have hardware raid, then it's possible that the bit was flipped
during or after transmission, but before parity was calculated..

Check for disk errors in your log files.

Generically speaking, I'd be inclined to believe that the lower bits
in the large file size are actually the precise size of the file...
Check if the size minus the high-order flipped bit is consistent with
a logical place to end the file.

Note that the bit could have been flipped when a nearby inode (on the
same disk/RAID  block) was updated   The block was read, modified and
re-written and during that process, the bit could have been  magically
flipped.

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641