Shrink ext3 filesystem , running out of inode questions

Ling C. Ho ling at fnal.gov
Thu Apr 3 16:21:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have an ext3  file system created with -T largefile4 option. Now it is
running out of inode but it's only about 10% full.

- Is there a way now to increase the number of inode without making a
new file system?

- If not, I am thinking about shrinking the file system, and then use
the free up space to create a new file system with more inodes, and move
the data over. Since I am already running out of inode, would I still be
able to shrink the file system?

Thanks,
ling