ext2online with 1k blocks not working

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sat Aug 23 15:36:07 UTC 2008

Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:33 -0400
> Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
>> 1.41.0?  Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
>> I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
>> point.
>
> Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
> its name.
>
>  [root at localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
> Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
> ./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125
>
> /var/log/messages show:
> localhost kernel: JBD: resize2fs wants too many credits (3498 > 2048)
>
> And filesystem grew from 485G to only 534G and not 800 and something G.

You didn't say exactly which kernel version this is, but this might be
fixed in newer RHEL (er, CentOS) kernels:

* Fri Mar 28 2008 Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> [2.6.9-68.28]
-ext3: lighten up resize transaction requirements (Eric Sandeen) [166038]

Although usually I got -ENOSPC back to userspace ..

-Eric