ext2online with 1k blocks not working

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Thu Aug 21 18:32:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:33 -0400
Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
> 1.41.0?  Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
> I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
> point.

Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
its name.

 [root at localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125

/var/log/messages show:
localhost kernel: JBD: resize2fs wants too many credits (3498 > 2048)

And filesystem grew from 485G to only 534G and not 800 and something G.

> Out of curiosity, why are you using a 1k blocksize?  Does Virtuozzo
> require it?  Especially for a filesystem as big what you are
> apparently using, there will be some significant performance downsides
> with using a 1k blocksize.  And the -i 1024; are you storing huge
> numbers of small files?

Commercial version of Virtuozzo (unlike free OpenVZ) offers "vzfs" which
adds some kind of CoW symlink on top of ext3. From the host point of
view, every new virtual environment is just a bunch of symlinks pointing to
an OS template. So yes, there are many files and many of them are just
symlinks. We haven't met any performance issues (yet), only the upper file
size limit (16GB). There's potential for unacceptably long fsck times and
we're rethinking our setup to avoid that.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/