bit per bit copy! ext3

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Tue Dec 2 14:14:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 2 December 2008 08:55:17 -0500 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com>
> wrote:
>
>> # original flash
>> dd if=/dev/sda of=flash_disk.img
>> # with second flash flugged in
>> dd if=flash_disk.img of=/dev/sda
>>
>> They must/should be the same sizes though.
>
> I believe if you are copying the whole of sda, a larger destination disk
> will not be problematic.
>
> Alex

Alex, this is true but I have seen/done this before example:

80GB DD/Acronis => 500GB disk (albeit this was windows)..

It showed up as an 80 gigabyte disk/etc on the new hard drive even though
it had additional capacity available.

So yeah it should work, just don't count on being able to use the space,
in my case/example there was an encryption/disk product involved and dd
was the only way to move the data and if you tried to expand the partition
inside of the encryption product it would crash the machine/windows would
not boot correctly, etc.

Justin.