forced fsck (again?)

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Feb 5 01:51:46 UTC 2008

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> You can add a Signed-Off-By: Andreas Dilger <adilger at sun.com> here,
> as it does everything I think is needed at this point...

Just want to double check: I've made a few more changes here, based on
some of the other messages between you and Ted, and the one message from
Eric; I don't necessarily want to put your sign-off on it if I've
reverted any of your changes.  :-)

> Probably good to put a version number in the script, along with your
> name/email so it is clear what version a user is running.

Done, along with a "contributions" section.

>> # e2check configuration file
>
> Minor note - "lvscan configuration file".

Uh, yep.  I've also grepped both files for other occurrences of "e2" and
removed anything that doesn't belong.  (There was only one occurrence,
also in the config file, under AC_UNKNOWN.  It runs more than just
e2fsck now.)

One thing I did realize, though.  The script still uses a lot of tools
from e2fsprogs -- logsave and blkid at least; possibly more.  Does it
make sense to require e2fsprogs on a system whose only filesystems are
XFS or reiser?  (Does it make sense to provide this script as a separate
package -- that would therefore depend on e2fsprogs -- on these systems,
either?)  Not entirely sure what I can do about that, though; I can use
"tee -a" instead of logsave, but I'm not sure about blkid.  Maybe
/proc/mounts might be helpful?

Summary of other changes:

Added XFS cases to some functions, to document that nothing needs to be
done (and get rid of warnings), and changed xfs_check to xfs_repair.
(Per Eric Sandeen's message.)

Changed back to two e2fsck calls, per Ted's message about the orphaned
inode list getting cleared with e2fsck -p.  Also switched back to -fy
instead of -fn, since more useful output is given, and the snapshots are
already read-write.  (I can easily revert these if needed, back to a
single "e2fsck -fn" call, but it sounded like the changes were probably
required?)  *Also* re-added "-C 0" so running the script interactively
is slightly prettier.

Append output to a single log file (per logical volume) in /var/log,
instead of a separate file per LV per day.  Added a date header to the
file as well, before the output of each fsck.

Other comments?