Thank Goodness For The "rescue" Command in GNU Parted

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 15 15:28:18 UTC 2008

I thought I'd mention how useful the "rescue" command
in GNU parted is. In the last year, by using this wonderful
command, I've been able to completely resurrect 2 ext3
file systems that appeared to be lost.

For example, yesterday I made some modifications to
a RAID unit on a popular RAID controller. I had
two units, and I changed one from RAID 0 to RAID 1.
I expected this to wipe out the data on this unit.
But, for some unknown reason, it also wiped out
the partition table on the other unit. The "rescue"
command saved the day.

If you ever have partition table problems but think
your file system area is intact, you should check
out this command. I think you'll like it.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support