e2defrag error

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Feb 29 01:14:54 UTC 2008

On Feb 28, 2008  10:00 +0100, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Thu, February 28, 2008 07:57, snehal nehete wrote:
> > We want to defrag ext3 filesystem using e2defrag tool.When we tried to
> > compile source code of defrag-e2c-0.73.1-1.1 ,following error had occured
>
> I think you're better off asking the defrag-e2c folks[0].

If this is the old e2defrag then the answer is "just don't use it", because
it is very old and will corrupt your filesystem.

> > Can anyone suggest how to defrag ext3 filesystem?

Why do you think your filesystem is fragmented, is the first question.
If it is then you should delete as many files as you can (or move non-
critical files to another filesystem), and then rewrite the files in
single stream copies.

Using ext4+mballoc+delalloc will almost entirely eliminate fragmentation,
but it isn't in any released kernel yet.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group