Checksumming layer

Jeremy Sanders jss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 11:54:46 UTC 2008

Is there any sort of checksumming layer that could lie between the disk and
ext3, or be implemented as part of ext3/4?

We've just had a couple of drives recently where the drive started silently
corrupting the data without generating any I/O or SMART errors. This is
pretty disastrous as you don't necessarily find out about the corruption
until it is too late.

I imagine the overhead of such a layer wouldn't be that much. I would pay a
few percent performance for knowing that the data is not corrupt.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.