forced fsck (again?)

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 23 14:08:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:15:48AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> It probably makes more sense just to parse /etc/fstab and check the
> filesystems that have PASS != 0 (column 6), since those are the
> filesystems that will be automatically checked on the next boot.  This
> also avoids more configuration by the user, which is always desirable.

I thought of that, but given that you need to configure the e-mail to
send reports, and the snapshot size, we need another configuration
file anyway.  (We could sneek some of that information into the
options field of fstab, since the kernel and other programs that parse
that field just take what they need and ignore the rest, but.... ick,
ick, ick.  :-)

Also, I could imagine that a user might not want to check all of the
filesystems in fstab.

> Alternately, using "lvscan" to check for mounted LVM filesystems and
> their fstype is another option, since there is no guarantee that all
> filesystems listed in /etc/fstab are on LVM.  That's what I did in a
> very old, but similar, script:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.lvm.devel/2003-04/msg00001.html

I do like the fact that your script does much better error checking
than mine.  :-)

							- Ted