spd_readdir.c and readdir_r [real new version]

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Jun 16 03:46:21 UTC 2008

My previous attachment had only a link for the main file; the current
one should have the real thing.

For the full backup, using the preload library changed the backup time
from  over 35 hours to 22 hours for a full backup.  The full backup got
much slower as it progressed; my guess is something other than the
preload library (perhaps the snapshotting itself, bacula, or postgresql)
accounts for that.

The percentage change for incremental backups, which involve relatively
more time scanning, is larger: from 3 hours to under .5 hours.

There's no obvious speedup for the jobs involving Reiser filesystems.

All in all, a big win.  Thanks to everyone for your help, and especially
to Ted for the original code.

Ross Boylan