Unable to change the 'name' field from 'ext3_dir_entry_2' structure.

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 24 00:19:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:43:02PM +0530, ashish mahamuni wrote:

> ok..
> I'll find some other way to hide the file/directory..
> Can you suggest me the better and secure way to modify the dentry?
> I mean, which one should I modify? On disk structure or kernel cache(I guess this is what we called as memory data structure).
> Certainly this question is not only for dentry. The case should  be common while modifying other data structures also.

So what's the high level problem?  *Why* are you trying to hide file
names or directories?

I repeat, is this for a university problem set or project?

Or is there a practical real-life use for it.  If so, *what* is the
practical real-life use?  What are you trying accomplish at the high
level, and why is it useful to try to hide filenames or directories?

Is this for a root kit, where you are trying to write malware?

   	      	   	      	      	     - Ted