"Write once only but read many" filesystem

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 04:39:32 UTC 2008

For reasons of auditability/accountability, I would like a filesystem
such that I can write to it only ONCE, subsequently not
modifiable/deletable, but always readable.   Kind of a database journal
logs - it is continuously being written, sequentiall appending, but not
circular buffer based, so that upon running out of space, logging will
be paused in memory, and after new storage devices added to it, it will
continue to flush out whatever is outstanding in memory.

Can ext3 / ext4 or current jbd2 be easily configured to serve this purpose?

Thanks.