Unable to change the 'name' field from 'ext3_dir_entry_2' structure.

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 22 12:29:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 01:17:04PM +0530, ashish mahamuni wrote:
> 1: I am trying to write a tool to hide a file/directory.
>    So I am changing the 'name' field to NULL.
>    Directories get hide properly. But nothing for file(Unable to change the  'name' field)

So you're deliberately corrupting the filesystem.  This wouldn't be
for some university class assignment, would it?

> 2: Of course filesystem is mounted.

Well, there's your problem.  The name is cached in the kernel's dentry
cache.  It won't necessarily work for directories, either, BTW.  I
think you've just been getting lucky.

					- Ted