needs help, root inode gone after usb bus reset on sata disks

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue May 27 11:25:33 UTC 2008

Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 10:56, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> image. I mounted the dvd image in the same directory and started watching
>> the movie. After 40 minutes the movie stops.
>
> Maybe someone on the list can tell you how the movie ends, if you tell us
> the title :-)

I also had the dvd on disk, it was Memento. But I am not so lucky with
all the other data on the disk.

>> dmesg and a fsck showed messages about the root inode being gone!
>> fsck.ext2 -p /dev/sdd1 did not work manual run is needed.
>> On the first 500GB disk I did an fsck.ext2 -y /dev/sdd1 did did not
>
> Do you still have the logs from these fsck runs? Might be interesting what
> the exact errors were...

The logs will be almost exactly the same as with the second disk (see
the gziped file)

http://www.powercraft.nl/temp/fsck-crash-info.txt.gz

>> What should I do? What commands do you want me to run to provide more
>> info? How can i restore my root inode?
>
> 500GB, 750GB...and no backups? Ouch :-\

Indeed, I really hope we can solve it.

If I need to buy an additional 750G disk to make a backup dd image
please tell me, it will make a hole in my wallet but if it is necessary...

> Christian.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle