Best Practices for recovering corrupt ext2/3 filesystems

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Sat May 3 21:16:02 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I am writing a document on Best Practices for recovering corrupt ext2/3 filesystems. The documents start with recommending scheduling backup of partition tables and filesystem images created with e2image. I was hopeing that the subscribers of this list might be able to verify some things for me.

Would it be safe to say that fsck would fail to recover a filesystem if the following information from dumpe2fs on the filesystem and the filesystem image differs:

Inode count:

Block count:

Reserved block count:

Block size:
Group x: (Blocks Y-Z)

Are there any other entries that would categorize as "cannot differ" entries?

--
Harald Jensås