Unlink performance

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon Oct 27 09:30:18 UTC 2008

--On 27 October 2008 11:40:21 +0200 Markus Peuhkuri <puhuri at iki.fi> wrote:

> However, as my delete script malfunctioned, and at one point it had
> 2x100 GB files to delete; thus running 'rm file' one after one for those
> 400 files, about 500 MB each.  What then resulted was  that the
> real-time data processing became too slow and and buffers overfload.

Are all the files in the same directory? Even with HTREE there seem
to be cases where this is surprisingly slow. Look into using nested
directories (e.g. A/B/C/D/foo where A, B, C, D are truncated hashes
of the file name).

Or, if you don't mind losing data in a power off and the job suits,
unlink the file name immediately your processor has opened it. Then
it will be deleted on close.

Alex