benchmark results

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Thu Dec 24 10:31:10 UTC 2009

I've had the chance to use a testsystem here and couldn't resist running a
few benchmark programs on them: bonnie++, tiobench, dbench and a few
generic ones (cp/rm/tar/etc...) on ext{234}, btrfs, jfs, ufs, xfs, zfs.

All with standard mkfs/mount options and +noatime for all of them.

Here are the results, no graphs - sorry:
   http://nerdbynature.de/benchmarks/v40z/2009-12-22/

Reiserfs is locking up during dbench, so I removed it from the
config, here are some earlier results:

   http://nerdbynature.de/benchmarks/v40z/2009-12-21/bonnie.html

Bonnie++ couldn't complete on nilfs2, only the generic tests
and tiobench were run. As nilfs2, ufs, zfs aren't supporting xattr, dbench
could not be run on these filesystems.

Short summary, AFAICT:
    - btrfs, ext4 are the overall winners
    - xfs to, but creating/deleting many files was *very* slow
    - if you need only fast but no cool features or journaling, ext2
      is still a good choice :)

Thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #84:

Someone is standing on the ethernet cable, causing a kink in the cable