barrier and commit options?

Miller, Mike (OS Dev) Mike.Miller at hp.com
Mon Feb 2 15:55:50 UTC 2009

Theodore Tso wrote:

> Well, we still need the barrier on the block I/O elevantor
> side to make sure that requests don't get reordered in the
> block layer.  But what you're saying is that once the write
> is posted to the array, it is guaranteed that it is on
> "stable storage" (even if it is BBWC) such that if someone
> hits the Big Red Switch at the exit to the data center, and
> power is forcibly cut from the entire data center in case of
> a fire, the battery will still keep the cache alive, at least
> until the sprinklers go off, anyway, right?  :-)

That's an accurate accessment. ;-)

> In that case, I suspect the right thing for the cciss array
> to do is to ignore the barrier, but not to return an error.

We agree and will fix the IO error.

> If you return an error, and refuse the write with barrier
> operation (which is what the cciss driver seems to be doing
> starting in 2.6.29-rcX), ext4 will retry the write without
> the barrier, at which point we are vulnerable to the block
> layer reordering things at the I/O scheduler layer.  In
> effect, you're claiming that every single write to cciss is
> implicitly a "barrier write" in that once it is received by
> the device, it is guaranteed not to be lost even if the power
> to the entire system is forcibly removed.

Of course, we can't cover all possible scenarios like the data center exploding or something crazy. But under _most_ circumstances the data will remain in cache for up to 72 hours of no power. So if there is a complete power outage the controller will write any cached data (in order) to the disks on the next power up.

-- mikem