un'stat'able files - fs corruption?

Jochen Rueter joschi at fliegergruppe-donzdorf.de
Mon Feb 9 12:47:02 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I have some serious problems on my ext3 filesystem. Several folders
contain files, which cannot be accessed in any way,
not even a stat() on these files is possible:

[~]$ ls -l
-rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users    30208 2007-09-16 12:49 Stoffverteilungsplan
tw kl4 07.doc
?--------- ? ?      ?            ?                ? Teddyb?r.docx

?--------- ? ?      ?            ?                ? Termine f?r montag
kiga.doc
-rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users    28672 2001-11-18 17:29 tiere bei den indios.doc
[~]$ rm Teddy*
Teddyb?r.docx: No such file or directory

In this example, e.g. the file named Teddyb?r.docx has these problems. I
know it has some non-printable characters in its filename,
which seems to be somehow related to the problem, however I have other
files containing such characters which can be accessed fine
when escaping the characters correctly. Also, those other files show up
correctly in the output of 'ls', and 'stat()' works
on these files.

Also e2fsck does not find any errors on this filesystem.
Can anybody help me getting rid of these files?

Thanks alot,

Jochen