Re: un'stat'able files - fs corruption?

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:47:02PM +0100, Jochen Rueter wrote:
> Hello list,
> I have some serious problems on my ext3 filesystem. Several folders
> contain files, which cannot be accessed in any way,
> not even a stat() on these files is possible:
> [~]$ ls -l
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users    30208 2007-09-16 12:49 Stoffverteilungsplan
> tw kl4 07.doc
> ?--------- ? ?      ?            ?                ? Teddyb?r.docx
> ?--------- ? ?      ?            ?                ? Termine f?r montag
> kiga.doc
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users    28672 2001-11-18 17:29 tiere bei den indios.doc
> [~]$ rm Teddy*
> Teddyb?r.docx: No such file or directory

I recall having a similar problem with UTF-8 filenames when I took an external
drive from a x86 machine and plugged it into a powerpc machine.  After spending
hours trying to fix this mysterious filesystem "corruption," I got home and
plugged it into the original machine.  Everything was back to normal.

I speculated at the time that the byte order of the machine was somehow
affecting filename encoding.  In hindsight, this doesn't make a lot of sense to
me (UTF-8 defines byte order).

Some bug in userspace?  I don't know.

Forest Bond