advice on partitioning

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Feb 20 19:13:09 UTC 2009

I use Cyrus, which writes each email message to a separate file on disk.
I have a lot of mail.

Is it OK to put this on the general /var partition, or are the optimal
parameters so different that it really should be separate?

I've encrypted /var, so making another encrypted partition means another
prompt to deal with on startup.  I'm hoping to avoid that.  Either way,
everything would be on the same physical disks (software RAID1).

I'd also appreciate any hints about which parameters I should tune.

Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062