Questions regarding journal replay

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:44:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:42:14PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de>:
>
> > After my initial report I removed the journal and created an external
> > journal on a 32GB partition. Hoping it would be faster, since
> > accoriding to the docs. the journal size is limited to 128MB.
>
> That should read:
>
> Hoping it would be faster, since -- according to the docs -- the journal
> size is limited to 128MB.

Increasing the journal size may speed up certain filesystem workloads
which are causing the journal to wrap very frequently.  However,
increasing the journal *will* increase the time to replay the journal....

How long did the journal replay take when you were using the 128MB
internal inode?  Was the 800 seconds to replay for the the case when
you were using the internal journal or the external journal?

    	       	   	    	       - Ted