barrier and commit options?

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 15:40:14 UTC 2009

Miller, Mike (OS Dev) wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> Christian Kujau wrote:

>>> No, why would it? If certain mount options would make a filesystem
>>> prone to corruption I'd consider this a bug.
>>>
>> Well, that's not exactly true.  Turning off barriers,
>> depending on your storage, could lead to corruption in some
>>

> I hope this a proper forum for this inquiry. I'm the maintainer of the HP Smart Array driver, cciss. We've had requests and now a bug report to support write barriers.
> It seems that write barriers are primarily intended to ensure the proper ordering of data from the disks write cache to the medium. Is this accurate?
>
> Thanks,
> -- mikem

Hi Mike,

Without working barriers, you are especially open to metadata corruption
- If I remember the details correctly, Chris Mason has demonstrated a
50% chance of corruption directory entries in ext3 for example.

In addition, barriers allows fsync to have real meaning since the target
storage will flush its write cache & the user will have that fsync()
data after a power outage.

If you have a battery backed write cache (say, in a high end array)
barriers can be ignored since the storage can effectively make that
write cache non-volatile, but otherwise, this is pretty key for anyone
wanting to maintain data integrity,

Regards,

Ric