help with ext3 reserved inode

Donato Capitella d.capitella at tin.it
Sun Jul 5 14:10:23 UTC 2009

Hi there,
I need some help with a patch to the ext3 filesystem I'm developing. I'm
completelly new to kernel programming and I need to understand
practically how to use one of the ext3 reserved inode for storing a log.

I thought it would be just as easy as getting the inode with the
ext3_iget() function, but it doesn't seem to be the case. For example,
if I try to load the third reserved inode like this :

inode = ext3_iget(sb, 3);

ext3_iget() fails somehow and crashes the process with a NULL pointer
reference. What am I missing here? How do you use a reserved inode? Can
anybody point to some documentation or project that uses reserved
inodes?

I'm really stuck :(

Thanks a lot,
Donato Capitella