ext3 and the system date/time

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Fri Jul 17 09:21:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 at 22:54, dkg_004 at verizon.net wrote:
> Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

Is this reproducible? (I shall try this myself, but not right now)

> Is there any way to prevent/remove this dependency of the file system
> on changes in the system date/time?

Instead of a time interval between checks you could use a counter to have
the fs checked every now and then. From tune2fs(8):

      -i  interval-between-checks[d|m|w]
      Adjust  the  maximal time between two filesystem checks.  No
      postfix or d result in days, m in months, and w in weeks.  A value
      of zero will disable the time-dependent checking.

      -c max-mount-counts
      Adjust  the  number  of  mounts  after  which  the filesystem
      will be checked by e2fsck(8).  If max-mount-counts is 0 or -1,
      the number of times the filesystem is mounted will be disregarded by
      e2fsck(8) and the kernel.

HTH,
C.
--
BOFH excuse #404:

Sysadmin accidentally destroyed pager with a large hammer.