Making an ext3 partition unmountable (intentionally)

Sri S sritsi74 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 23:35:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

I’d like to make an ext3 partition that cannot be mounted easily on another system.  I don’t want to use loop-aes to encrypt the partition because of the performance hit.  I also don’t need it to be very secure, I just need to prevent someone from taking the drive from my system and reading the data off of it.

I was thinking about one or a combination of one of options:

	1. Changing the partition’s ext3 magic number to some other magic number that only I recognize
	2. Changing the location of the super-block and backup super blocks

Obviously, I’ll need to recompile my e2fsprogs to handle this, but I don’t think that’ll be an issue.  Does anyone see a problem with any of these?