how to calculate correct values for resize2fs

Bodo Thiesen bothie at gmx.de
Thu Jun 25 21:20:15 UTC 2009

* Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> hat geschrieben:

> Christian Kujau wrote:
>> After creating a new partition, you can mkfs this new one. I did not
>> understand at which point you want to "resize" a partition. Resizing a
>> filesystem is usually done on existing, resized partitions.

He wants to SHRINK the partition, so he will have to resize the
file system, then shrink the partition.

> resize2fs /dev/sda1 ????????
[...]
> Hope you can show me how to calculate the value to get a 16 MB free
> space on /dev/sda with the resize2fs tool.

Just resize the file system on sda1 to 3GB (or another value which leaves
enough space - just overcalculate here). Then make the partition smaller
to the final size you want it to be, then re-erlarge the file system to
it's final size.

And another advice: Do NOT create the new partition(s), before you
completed the TWO resize-steps.

Regards, Bodo