kernel beginner - ext3 hacking help

Zhang Shukun bitzsk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 03:33:46 UTC 2009

1) Given a virtual inode, how do I get the block list associated to it?
I tried to convert the inode to an ext3_inode_info using EXT3_I(), but I
can't find the block list there.

block list is in the ext3_inode_info struct:

struct ext3_inode_info {
    __le32    i_data[15];    /* this is block list */
    __u32    i_flags;
};

and i do'nt know the second question.

2009/6/6 Donato Capitella <d.capitella at tin.it>

> Hi there,
> I just started hacking the linux kernel. I need to know how to do 2
> things:
>
> 2) Given a block number, how do I write data to that block? Is there any
> function like write_to_block(int block_n, char *buf, int bytes) or
> something?
>
> Thank you in advance, I'm young and this is my first approach to kernel
> programming and don't know where to find documentation.
>
> Donato Capitella

Regards,
Sucan