How to optimize the cloning of a disk with a big empty ext3 partition?

Stephen Samuel (gmail) darkonc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:39:32 UTC 2009

A program like partimage will copy only the sectors that are already in use,
but it
requires that the destination partition be at least as big as the original
(otherwise
it would be required to relocate used sectors that are near the end of the
parttition).

The only real way around your problem would be to resize2fs to resize the
filesystem
(not the partition) to  a bit over 1GB At that point you could safely copy
only the first
Gig of the partition (whatever size you changed the filesystem to).  You
could then
(if you wanted to) resize the filesystem back to fill the partition.

If you just need the data from the partition archived, and don't need it to
be live,
then you can just use partimage to dump the used sectors, into a file...
When you
need to reconstitute the filesystem, however, partimage will want to create
a filesystem
the same size as the original.

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com  Software, like love,
778-861-7641                              grows when you give it away