how to calculate correct values for resize2fs

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Thu Jun 25 17:13:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, June 23, 2009 02:12, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> I want to make a new 16 MB partition on the end of my /dev/sda SSD.
> Currently the SSD is partitioned in one ext2 /dev/sda1.
> My question is how can i make this new partition with the CLI tools.

Creating partitions is done with {c,s}fdisk. I think cfdisk ask where to
create this partition (at the end/at the beginning of the disk).

> I also have some parted question on how to just make a partition from
> the free space on the end of the disk.

"man parted", but I guess if cfdisk can do it, parted should be able to do
so as well. Hm, I just checked:

(parted) help mkpart
  mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END     make a partition

So, you can actually specify where you want the partition to start.

After creating a new partition, you can mkfs this new one. I did not
understand at which point you want to "resize" a partition. Resizing a
filesystem is usually done on existing, resized partitions.

C.
--
BOFH excuse #51:

Cosmic ray particles crashed through the hard disk platter