Ubuntu Ibex on single SATA Seagate disk, ext3

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Fri Mar 13 06:25:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, James McKain [Gmail] wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before.  Sometimes my system
> crashes

What's wrong with this system that it sometimes just "crashes"?

>, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files.  They
> are completely gone and untraceable.  At first I forced fsck on reboot, and
> that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues.

Anything related in the logs, does fsck report anything during bootup?

> My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is
> one file in particular that is completely gone.  I haven't touched this file
> in months, and it just up and disappeared.

Did anything show up in /lost+found?

> I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not.

Speaking of drive errors: did you test your drive, can you read from the
beginning to the end of it without any errors?

Christian.
--
If you want to contact Bruce Schneier, just type his name into your shell
prompt.