Ext3 - Frequent read-only FS issues

Steven Chervets stevec at cisco.com
Tue Mar 24 15:01:41 UTC 2009

Dushyanth,

If you have the disk write-cache enabled it means that any power
outage can cause file system corruption.  I would suggest that you put
a battery in your disk controller and enable the write-cache on it,
and at the same time, disable the write-cache on the disk itself.

If you can't get your hands on a battery, then disabled the write-
cache on the hard disk and see if you get any more file system
corruption errors.

Good Luck,
Steve

On Mar 24, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Dushyanth wrote:

> I have a bunch of mail servers running postfix (external smtp),
> qmail (LDA) and courier IMAP/POP. Frequently, Ext3 filesystem goes
> into read-only mode forcing recovery using fsck.
>
> Below are the errors we have seen so far on these systems and those
> systems config. The ext3 errors are common in many cases.

Forgot to mention that all ext3 mounts are ordered

/dev/sdX1 on /mountpoint type ext3
(rw,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,data=ordered)

Dushyanth