a question on mount count and maximum mount count [OT]

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Sun May 31 11:11:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009, lakshmi pathi wrote:
> Thanks guyz, today I learned by last command.But how reliable   "last
> reboot" is ?  I quickly checked the man page it said /var/log/wtmp
> used by last command.- what will happen if  the log file
> modified/erased or archived.

You'd need some tamper-proof setup to record all reboots (and better yet,
all other system activity). This usually means some kind of hardware, like
a blackbox used in airplanes. A less paranoid version of this could be a
remote syslog server, recording reboots even if a local logfile has been
modified/erased.

C.
--
BOFH excuse #413:

Cow-tippers tipped a cow onto the server.