ext3 filesystems - changes ??

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 21:30:54 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 09:03 PM, Jeremy Dawson wrote:

> I hope this is a suitable forum for this question.
>
> I have RedHat9 installed on one partition.
>
> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on another partition.  When I had a
> choice in the installation procedure, I chose ext3 (since I understood
> that the RedHat partitions are ext3).
>
> Now I can mount the RedHat9 partitions from ubuntu, but trying to mount
> the Ubuntu partitions from RedHat produces an uninformative error message.
>
> Why could this be ? Are there different variants of ext3 ?

to some degree yes, there are some ext3 features which older kernels may
not mount.

dmesg likely tells you -something- about the problem - including the
error message is always helpful, even if it's uninformative to you :)

(the generic mount failure message is generally worthless, but the
kernel should say something)

-Eric