Inode 196617 has imagic flag set

Ted Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:27:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:07:38PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Maybe e2fsck was getting confused at having two partitions with the
> same partition label on the system?

Well, the blkid library, specifically, was getting confused.  E2fsck
uses the blkid library to map LABEL= and UUID= references to device
names.

One thing that you might do for devices that are always present (which
generally means you're not changing them in your /etc/fstab often) is
to use a UUID= reference instead.  They are definitely less convenient
than labels, but they are also much less likely to cause confusion by
having duplicately labelled file systems.

Granted, no one wants to *type* "mount
UUID=9e132c06-1fd0-4bbd-ad06-5995a8f45b26"; they'd much rather type
"mount LABEL=websites".  But if the only place the a
UUID=... specification shows up is in /etc/fstab, it might be worth
it.

Then you can just zap the label on file systems that you only plan to
reference via UUID, and then that reduces the chances for confusion in
the future.

Best regards,

> PS Are there any PDF docs that would give me an overview of the ext3
> FS, and how it works?

Try the list of Articles and Publications here:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Publications

						- Ted