Ext2/Ext3 File layout policies

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:17:46 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 4:59 PM, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> I studied some of the papers on file layout in ext2/ext3, but all the papers are at least 10-12
> years old.  Can someone give hints/reference of survey of changes in file layout policies in the
> last 4-5 years ?

There are a number of newer papers in the ext4 Wiki: http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org.   Click on the Publications / Articles link.

I'm not sure what you mean by "file layout policies".   Do you mean how the filesystem lays out its metadata?   Do you mean the block allocation algorithms?   And for what purpose are you interested in knowing about layout policies in particular.