Going readonly too frequently

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Jan 26 23:09:32 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-26, at 08:48, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Muhammed Sameer wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> * Our server is going readonly atleast 10 - 15 times a day with the
>> below error
>
> ouch - and even just once is "too frequently" :)

>> <snip>
>> Jan 26 12:57:36 mailbox kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdb1):
>> ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block 53771686

I haven't seen any similar bug reports, and given that the RHEL5.2
kernel has been out for a long time would steer me toward thinking
this is a hardware error (bad RAM or cable, though only with PATA or
SCSI drives).  You could check for this by converting the block
numbers to hex, and looking for consistent bits being cleared.

> It would probably be best to open a support ticket with Red Hat for
> this one,
> since it's a Red Hat kernel.
>
> If you have any way to reproduce it that'd be very useful
> information -
> perhaps even a test using an e2image of the filesystem in question.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group