fstab Pass Column and forced disk checks

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Mar 9 20:54:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-09, at 10:10, Kyle Brandt wrote:
> If I have the 6th column in fstab (the pass column) set to 0, does
> that mean disk checks will never be forced at boot regardless of
> anything like File System State, Mount Count, and Check Interval on
> the file system itself, or are there exceptions to this?

No, there are many filesystems which don't have/allow checking so the
top-level fsck tool needs to honor this.  I would never recommend
disabling e2fsck on a system, unless you are running in an HA
environment where it is not safe to do automated checks at startup
time.  I also do not recommend that people disable the periodic e2fsck
checks, because people forget to check their filesystems, and the
kernel can sometimes spread corruption further if it reads garbage
from the disk.

If you dislike the periodic (time/mount count) checks that e2fsck
forces at boot, I would suggest using the "lvcheck" script I posted to
linux-ext4 some months ago (assuming you are using LVM, which most
people are these days), and will attach here again. That allows you to
periodically check the filesystem in the background to detect
corruptions on disk, without any concern that the next reboot will
take a long time.

It would be great to get these included as part of the lvm2 package,
and have lvcheck installed in /etc/cron.weekly to automatically check
all the LVs configured on the system, and solve the "we don't like
periodic checks at boot" problem in a way that is still robust to the
errors that will undoubtably appear on disk at one point or another.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group