2**31-1 blocks question

Russell Gillette rgillette at napc.com
Thu May 13 15:13:51 UTC 2010

On 5/11/10 7:26 PM, Bodo Thiesen wrote:
> * Eric Sandeen<sandeen at redhat.com>  hat geschrieben:

>> >  Most recent ext3 kernelspace and userspace should technically
>> >  make it to 16T.
> [...]
>
>> >  The downside is you probably can't mount it, because it's
>> >  block size>  page size on most architectures (like x86 and x86_64)
> Contradiction? Anyone?

Eric's comment about not being able to mount referenced altering the FS
block size to 8k from 4k. Intel Xeon only supports 4k pages.

He is correct that newer e2fsprogs will allow creation of ext3
filesystems up to 16T _without_ altering block size, as I frequently
make 10T+ filesystems on RHEL 5.3 and 5.4.

--russellg