Compute the real total size of a partition formated in EXT3

Stephane Cerveau scerveau at awox.com
Mon Feb 7 14:45:17 UTC 2011

Dear All,

In order to have a real percentage of freespace for a user interface, I'm trying to compute the size available on a 4GB USB key formatted in Ext3. Indeed after format, when I ask df to give a summary of size, it tells that there is 75MB already used.

I would like to know the meaning of this 75MB ( is it the journal??) and especially how I can compute this when I want, whithout parsing the partition and the size of the file(s).

/dev/sda1            3.7G       71.5MB                3.4G 2% /mnt/internal

Best regards.

Stéphane Cerveau
Software Engineer

scerveau at awox.com<mailto:scerveau at awox.com>